It is important for patients to have a relationship with and trust their dentist. And what better way to do that than through social media? In the past several years, dentists have been incorporating the use of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other social media outlets to connect with their patients and others, and we think it’s really smart. To honor the dentists who we know are avid bloggers and Tweet-ers, we put together a list of who we think are the top 10 dentists in social media. Check out who made the cut this year, and why we chose them.
1. Dr. John Flucke. Starting off our list at #1 this year, Dr. Flucke returns as an active Twitter user. He continues to frequently update his Dental Technology Blog, on which he posts about the latest in both dental technology and general technology. Dr. Flucke appeals to a wide audience that consists of more than just dentists, and stays caught up with his patients and others by actively responding to them on Twitter and elsewhere. For these reasons, we have chosen to keep Dr. Flucke on the list for the third consecutive year.
2. Dr. Gregory Cole. Also making his third year on the list is dentist and blogger, Dr. “Flap” Cole. Dr. Cole consistently updates his Flap’s Dentistry Blog (as well as his other site) with very informative posts on the latest news in the dental industry and elsewhere. He also continues to be active in both the Facebook and Twitter community (and popular, too, with almost 40,000 Twitter followers). Additionally, Dr. Cole is also involved on both LinkedIn and Google+.
3. The Madow Brothers. Rich and Dave Madow are revolutionizing the social dental world with their hilarious dental music videos, helpful practice building videos, and consistent tweets to their over 4,000 followers. In addition to Twitter and YouTube, the Madow brothers run a blog and are active members of Facebook, as well. They even teach a Social Media Marketing seminar to other dentists around the country. Congratulations to the Madow brothers for their debut on our top 10 list this year.
4. Dr. Lorne Lavine. Dr. Lavine is a dentist in California and founder of Dental Technology Consultants. He is returning this year because he remains active on dental technology blog, the Digital Dentist Blog. Dr. Lavine also continues to maintain an active presence on Twitter and Facebook, continuously providing his fans and followers with tidbits of dental technology advice.
5. Dr. Thomas P. Connelly. Another dentist returning to our list this year is Dr. Thomas Connelly. Dr. Connelly blogs about common dental problems and procedures on the Huffington Post. Dr. Connelly has made our list for three years in a row because of his constant interaction with his Twitter followers, and his consistent blog posts about some common dental topics as well as some more unusual topics.
6. Dr. Larry Emmott. Dr. Emmott runs the Emmott on Technology blog on which he shares his experience in general dentistry and dental technology. He continues to be active on his blog, Facebook, Twitter, and his own personal web page. He also takes part in both LinkedIn and YouTube. We kept Dr. Emmott on our list again this year because he connects with everyone – not just dentists – because of his active participation in social media and the laid-back feel to his posts.
7. The Frangellas. Returning for a second year on the list is the three Frangellas. The Frangella siblings run a dental practice in New York and alternate posting on the Relatively Dental Blog they run on their website. They also continue to be an active part of Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. For these reasons, and because their blog covers a wide variety of dental topics that appeal to many different audiences, we are keeping the Frangellas on our list this year.
8. Dr. Howard Steinberg. Another new addition to the list this year is Dr. Howard Steinberg. Dr. Steinberg runs a cosmetic dental practice in Tuscon, AZ and actively participates on various social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Google+. In addition, he regularly updates an informative blog on which he posts very detailed and helpful information on general and cosmetic dentistry.
9. Fall Creek Dentistry. This practice in Fishers, IN, stays social savvy by interacting with patients through their Fall Creek Dentistry Blog, Twitter, and Facebook accounts. Fall Creek Dentistry also has a YouTube account on which they post informative videos about dental procedures, which patients will find very helpful.
10. Dr. James H. McCreary, Jr. Closing out our list with another debut is Dr. James McCreary at McCreary Family Dentistry in Pensacola, FL. Dr. McCreary runs an active blog on his website, and in addition, connects with his patients through both Facebook and YouTube. Keep up the avid interaction, Dr. McCreary!
Congratulations to all the dentists who made the list this year, and don’t forget to grab the badge at the bottom of the post to put on your page. Is your dentist into social media? Let us know in the comments section – they may even make the list next year!