Traditional health and dental insurance have changed a lot in today’s economy. Check out these statistics:
- Roughly just 48% of the U.S. workforce can obtain a dental plan through their employer, although 74% have access to comparable medical-only benefits. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Within the next year, 7% of employers will eliminate or reduce dental care benefits. (The Society for Human Resource Management)
- Next year 56% of large companies intend to make their employees responsible for a larger portion of health-care costs. (National Business Group on Health / Towers Watson)
- In addition to general changes, 28% of companies have opted to charge extra to add a spouse to insurance plans. Next year, 12% of employers plan to shift to high-deductible insurance coverage to save money. (National Business Group on Health / Towers Watson)
- Co-pays and deductibles are costing American families an average of $6,000 in out-of-pocket health insurance and medical costs. It’s predicted that by 2012, that number will reach $9,000. (National Coalition on Health Care)
- Dental insurance is one of the first benefits employers are looking to cut back. (Society for Human Resource Management)
- Financial burdens caused more than 50% of uninsured and 30% of insured Americans to skip necessary oral care visits during the last year. (2009 Harris Interactive/HealthDay Poll)
Discount dental plans are becoming more and more appealing as people consider the alternative options. Good Morning America endorsed Careington in a segment about discount clubs, and Dental Products Report, a leading dental publication, featured 1Dental.com in a piece about how to help more patients get the treatment they need.
Careington was started in 1979 by two dentists, and it has grown to more than 8 million members nationwide with more than 82,000 dental providers in the Careington Care 500 network alone. Many have found it a refreshing alternative to traditional dental insurance. Click here to learn more about dental plans, or call 800-372-7615.