It is a known fact that foods such as onions or garlic can cause halitosis, or bad breath. However, not all foods leave you with foul breath. In fact, many foods actually help disguise bad breath. If you suffer from halitosis, try eating one of the following foods.
The main cause of bad breath is bacteria or rotting food particles stuck in between your teeth. In many cases, saliva helps kill bacteria and wash away food particles. However, if saliva is not enough, try munching on one of these foods to eliminate odor-causing bacteria.
- Yogurt: Yogurt made from live action cultures helps reduce bad breath. In addition, yogurt contains probiotics (good bacteria) which overpower the bad bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Almonds/nuts: Rich in fiber, nuts act like a toothbrush and keep odor-causing bacteria from staining teeth.
- Parsley: Parsley – as well as other herbs and spices – contains strong oils that help mask bad breath.
- Green tea: Green tea contains catechin, which is a powerful antioxidant that fends against bacteria.
- Fruits: Crunchy fruits like apples and pears stimulate the production of saliva, which helps kill bacteria. Fruits loaded with vitamin C such as oranges, melons and berries help reduce the amount of bacteria in the mouth and also fight against gum diseases.
- Vegetables: Like fruits, crunchy vegetables such as celery, carrots and cucumbers aid in saliva production.
Other Options for Eliminating Odor
Some other ways to temporarily disguise bad breath include:
- Drink water: Staying hydrated keeps dry mouth away and also washes away food particles that may be lingering in your mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum: Not only does chewing on a stick of gum stimulate saliva production, the sticky surface removes plaque and bacteria that may cause bad breath from teeth.
- Use mouthwash: Mouthwash kills bacteria and leaves your mouth feeling and smelling fresh. Buy one at the store or make your own home remedy.
While these are good ways to hide bad breath, they are only temporary solutions. Practicing good dental hygiene is the best way to eliminate bad breath. Brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily. If bad breath persists, talk to your dentist.