Each passing year, we continue to see how social media affects how we interact with one another, how businesses reach customers, how consumers buy and sell their own products and even how dentists communicate and grow their relationship with patients.
It is an important aspect of business and dental practices – to get to know customers and let them get to know you. And while over the past few years we have primarily focused on dentists’ engagement and activity on Facebook and Twitter to compile our top 10 dentists on social media list, there are a few more networks on the scene now, the most significant of which is Google+.
So here is our list for 2014 of the top 10 dentists on social media, who have shown active engagement and activity on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
1. TenderCare Dental
Along with their intuitive website, TenderCare Dental’s Facebook, Twitter and Google+ pages are full of positive, fun and interactive articles and pictures. You can also find them on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and LinkedIn.
2. Brookside Dental
Brookside Dental’s top priority is your oral health and a top-notch smile; this much is clear from their informative website and frequent posts on how to improve your pearly whites. You can find them on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
3. Coast Dental
The social media pages of Coast Dental are highly positive and encouraging toward not only your oral health, but YOU! They post fun things that actively show the care and support of their staff. You’ll find them on Twitter, Facebook and Google+.
4. Guido Family Dentistry
The dental office of the Guido Family is actively seeking a relationship with its patients and their families. They strive to provide a safe and light-hearted atmosphere for each person that comes in. Look for them on Facebook and Google+.
5. Dr. Howard Steinberg
Dr. Howard Steinberg wants to enlighten people on the ins and outs of oral health. He provides helpful and safe insight on taking care of your teeth. This is evident on his blog and his social pages: Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
6. My Dentists
The word that comes to mind when looking at My Dentists’ Twitter and Facebook pages is “lively.” They frequently post entertaining facts or pictures—whilst also informing you about your teeth! You can find them on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and YouTube.
7. Asheville Family Dentistry
Finding a good family dentist can be hard, but if you are in North Carolina, Asheville Family Dentistry is the place to go! Their social media pages are filled with great questions and quizzes and they value each patient that enters their office. You’ll find them on Google+, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.
8. Young Family Dental
The Young Family Dental has a very enjoyable newsfeed of entertaining and informative pictures. They are dedicated to bringing a smile to their patients’ faces—and helping them improve it! You can find them on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and YouTube.
9. Urbandale Family Dentistry
Urbandale Family Dentistry has a bright and supportive staff as shown through their social media pages. They keep the priority of regularly informing people of how to take care of their teeth and provide a comfortable atmosphere for their clients. You can find them on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube and Pinterest.
10. Hinsdale Dentistry
With an equal amount of play and work, the Hinsdale Dentistry pages are well topped. They value the customer’s smile and experience at their office in Illinois. You’ll find them on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube and Pinterest.
And while the following list may not be dentists posting for a particular dental office, these are some great dental bloggers who are active on social media for your office and patients to follow. They offer very valuable content and advice about dental care.
- The Dental Geek – Our friends at The Dental Geek make it a priority to be positive and proactive about oral health. They aim to inform their readers about how dental health matters, while keeping a light-hearted disposition. Find them here: Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and YouTube.
- Anastasia – Anastasia Turchetta, a dental hygienist video blogger, gives a logical look at dental health. She has become one of America’s “Top 25 Women in Dentistry for 2014” by working passionately to influence the department of oral hygiene professionals. Find her social media pages here: Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and YouTube.
- The Blogging Doctors – This blog is written by doctors of all professions in order to get their online voice out in the world. It is a great community and opportunity for doctors to share their variety of stories and learnings. Find them here: Google+, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
- Top Dentists Online – Top Dentists Online is an extraordinary resource for people to search, find, review and rate their favorite dentists. It’s an easy and helpful way to discover top-rated dentists near you! Look here: Google+, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Dental Hub – The bloggers at the Dental Hub work toward keeping readers aware of how the mouth works, and how to keep it healthy. They frequently post tips and articles designed to entice and advise readers at the same time. Check them out here: Google+, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
Next Steps for Your Dental Office
If the thought of staying active on all of these social networks overwhelms you, here are some ideas for you to try to help you manage it:
- Choose Your Social Networks. Figure out which networks your patients frequent and spend your energy on those networks. While we shared dentists who are active on all of these networks, don’t feel pressured to try to do the same. You don’t want to spend an inordinate amount of time on Google+ or Twitter if all of your patients are on Facebook.
- Pick Your Social Media Manager. Choose someone in your office to handle your social media accounts. This will ensure your activity is consistent and not repetitive.
- Share Special Events and Other Occasions. Be sure to document special events and fun occasions happening in your office that you can share with your followers. You may not be able to post the pictures right away, but if you take them when you have the event, you’ll have them stored to share later.
- Post Informative Content Using Posting Tools. Spend a few hours of your week coming up with helpful and meaningful content for your patients. You can use a tool like Bufferapp or Hootsuite to post your articles. These programs will automatically post those articles on your social networks throughout the week so your followers are getting the information they need, while saving you a bit of time.
- Have fun! Be personable. Use social media to let your followers get to know your office and use it as a way to get to know your patients. Ask them questions; get their thoughts.
General dentists aren’t the only ones taking advantage of social media for their practices; many pediatric dentists are, as well.
How can you be more engaged and active on social media?