Do you need a cleaning but are unable to pay for it without insurance? Cleanings aren’t typically too expensive, but they can be without dental insurance. Understanding the importance of cleanings and what prices you’re looking at can help offer some incentive to get in for your dentist appointment as soon as possible.
How Much Will A Cleaning Cost Without Insurance?
Here's an example of what someone living in California with no insurance would pay for a cleaning at a typical dentist.
- Prophylaxis – Child Cleaning: $83
- Prophylaxis – Adult Cleaning: $113
- Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing: $313
- Periodontal Maintenance: $171
Why Do I Need to Get Cleanings?
Dentists recommend cleanings every six months for a number of reasons:
- Brushing, flossing and using mouth rinse is an extremely beneficial practice to put into place in your daily dental routine, but it can only go so far. Dentists are able to remove plaque that you have missed when you go in for regular dental checkups, which can prevent gum disease and keep your mouth healthy.
- If gum disease is left unchecked, plaque will move further into the tooth root and destroy the supporting bone, which can loosen teeth and make them fall out. Regular dental checkups help you keep your teeth.
- Foods, drinks and bad habits like smoking can all stain your teeth. Going in for cleanings can help you have a brighter, whiter smile.
- Having bad breath can also be an incentive to go in for a cleaning. Cleanings promote good oral hygiene, which is key to preventing bad breath.
- To improve overall health. Your dental health is tied to your overall health. If you have poor oral health, you’ll most likely have poor overall health. And if you have good oral health, you’ll most likely have good overall health.
Types of Cleanings
The kind of cleaning you get at your dentist will depend on your age and the health of your mouth. Here are the four cleanings your dentist will decide upon based on that criteria.
- Child Cleanings: Children should first see the dentist when they are one year old, or after their first tooth comes in. By the time they’re three or four years old, they will begin having cleanings. These cleanings are catered to the children to make them feel more comfortable. When children go in for cleanings, dentists will usually give their assessment of the child’s oral health and what needs to be done to improve it; they’ll also talk about orthodontic concerns if there are any.
- Regular Adult Cleanings: For adults who have healthy gums, or even early gingivitis without bone loss, a regular adult cleaning is all that’s necessary. Your dentist will remove any plaque, tartar and bacteria and will polish your teeth.
- Deep Cleaning—Scaling and Root Planing: If you have gum disease, however, a deep cleaning may be necessary. This cleaning involves scaling and root planing, which are methods used to clean between the gums and teeth down into the roots. Sometimes a local anesthetic may be needed to numb your gums and the roots of your teeth.
- Periodontal Maintenance: This is another cleaning that dentists use to stop the progression of periodontal (gum) disease. During this cleaning, your dentists will remove tartar and plaque build-up above and below the gum line, get rid of any stains on your teeth and help improve your breath.
Cleanings and the Careington 500 Series Dental Plan
While prices for cleanings aren’t too unreasonable, if you can save money, you’d probably like to, especially if you have to pay for cleanings for you and the whole family. There are insurance alternatives and different types of insurance that can help cut that cost for you. If you are without dental insurance, consider a discount dental plan, such as the Careington 500 Series Dental Plan. Here’s a sample list of prices for California, New York and Texas for cleanings with the Careington 500 Plan.
California Careington Members
- Prophylaxis – Child Cleaning: $36
- Prophylaxis – Adult Cleaning: $45
- Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing (Four or More Teeth Per Quadrant): $122
- Periodontal Maintenance: $71
New York Members
- Prophylaxis – Child Cleaning: $36
- Prophylaxis – Adult Cleaning: $41
- Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing (Four or More Teeth Per Quadrant): $127
- Periodontal Maintenance: $81
- Prophylaxis – Child Cleaning: $23
- Prophylaxis – Adult Cleaning: $31
- Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing (Four or More Teeth Per Quadrant): $102
- Periodontal Maintenance: $65
With the significant amount of money you can save on cleanings, signing up for a discount dental plan, or another insurance or insurance alternative, can help make your regular dental checkups manageable.