By Susan Braden
There are many key reasons why attending consistent cleanings is important to your overall oral health and well-being. These appointments are necessary to keep your teeth happy, healthy, and long-lasting! Read on for the top 7 reasons to have your teeth cleaned thoroughly and frequently at your dentist.
1. Maintain overall dental health. As you attend regular cleanings, your dentist is able to keep a close eye on any changes in your oral health. Your dentist will help you maintain clean, healthy teeth while closely monitoring your mouth's situation.
2. Flash a brighter smile. Most people want to attend teeth cleanings to brighten their smiles – whether to impress coworkers, family members, or even the opposite sex! A teeth cleaning can help clear up many unattractive tooth discolorations from staining substances such as coffee and tobacco. Even if a sparkling smile is your only reason for scheduling cleanings, consistent cleanings will grant you a myriad of other long-term benefits.
3.Detect arising oral problems early on. When you attend frequent cleanings, your dentist can detect arising oral problems far earlier than if you wait until you are in excruciating pain to darken the door of a dentist's office! Early detection is key in resolving any major health issue – the earlier any severe oral problem such as a cavity or abscess is addressed, the better.
4. Prevent bad breath. Good oral hygiene is the #1 way to prevent bad breath! Tartar and plaque buildup on your teeth increases your chances of developing bad breath. Dental hygienists often achieve a far more thorough cleaning than you can accomplish by brushing alone – cleanings eliminate plaque for your best breath possible!
5. Use your insurance or dental plan. Many an insurance or dental plan will pay for a certain number of cleanings per year. Take full advantage of these appointments to get the most for the money that you pay to an insurance company – if you pay for an insurance, then you might as well use it! A discount dental plan may even discount an unlimited number of cleanings per year.
6. Reduce your chances of developing gingivitis and severe gum disease. When you attend your regular cleanings, your dentist is able to check your mouth for the beginnings of gingivitis and more severe gum disease. Early detection is crucial in resolving these diseases as painlessly as possible!
7. Prevent oral cancer. The more often your dentist sees inside your mouth, the more ability he or she has to check for oral cancer – early diagnosis of oral cancer may save your life.
You can be motivated to attend regular cleanings for more reasons than just whiter teeth! Though cleanings may feel like a chore, they are truly an investment in your long-term oral health. Considering the many benefits associated with frequent cleanings, be sure to attend two or more per year as recommended by your dentist.